Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Research Blog #2:Scouting the Territory

Ok, so now that i have been thinking more and more about my topic I think I would like to focus my attention on sports and their role in college life. I have been thinking about a lot of different topics- the role of alcohol in college, academics in college, etc.- however, sports has stuck the longest just because i think it is the one I am most interested in because of my personal experience with it. I have two siblings who were/are involved with college sports at the division 1 level, I had the option to play a sport in college but declined because I knew it would affect my academics, and my boyfriend currently transferred from a division 1 school where he was a scholarship starting baseball player to play at a division 3 school because there was a lot about the system that annoyed him. Having these various views of the role of sports in college, I feel that I have a lot to write about the topic.
In terms of research, a simple Google search of "the role of sports in college" revealed a lot of interesting websites and articles. There is one that discusses the difference between sports in large universities and sports in small colleges. Also, it came up with a couple books that seem that the could be useful in my research. Some titles are "The mission of the university and the role of intercollegiate athletics" and "the game of life". Both of these books, and others, have very interesting and helpful information after reading the summaries offered by the authors.
An idea that I got from my search for my topic is the role of the athletes for the university. the university uses the athletes as a way to make money and what do the athletes get in return. Yes, scholarship money but at the price of waking up at the crack of dawn to train and finding spare moments in the day that can be fully devoted to academics.
there are many controversies over the rules and regulations of the NCAA and whether or not some of the rules are necessary. Another controversy is the stereotypes that athletes receive in certain schools and teachers views of the athletes.
Some things that I still need to find are more resources that present both sides of one argument about the role of sports. I want to make sure that i am well-read and well-researched in the topic in order to make sure i am doing justice to all sides in order to effectively make my arguments.

1 comment:

  1. Great start. I think "college sports" is a very accessible topic with which you can have a lot of success. As you recognize, that's still a broad topic, so you have to work on narrowing it down eventually to the aspect that interests you most. I have some reflections on this recently in our blog regarding Confessions of a Spoilsport, that book I handed around in class.

    ReplyDelete